Friday, October 2, 2015

Healthy Inspiration

How often do you appreciate the opportunity to do a Mitzvah?  Because our bodies more or less work, we don't think about what a privilege it is to be able to shake a lulav, or eat in the Sukkah, or do many other Mitzvos. Today Yitzi went into the sukkah. It took over an hour to get him there, and when we got there I noticed he had tears in his eyes. He "told" me that it has been two years since he has been in a sukkah. So here I am wondering if and how it would be possible to love our Mitzvos as much as Yitzi does without the challenges he has. First of all we have to think about it and how fortunate we are that we can easily do what HaShem asks of us. Second of all, it has to matter enough to us that we feel a pang of envy when we see someone love doing a Mitzvah. And thirdly, we get to see people like Yitzi and be inspired and reminded that this is special. We have an opportunity to connect to HaShem. So now I ask myself, would there be a way if Yitzi didn't show me? Can we learn all of this from a healthy person who doesn't face these challenges? I am hoping we can, for if not it is necessary for there to be people like Yitzi. So how can we show HaShem it is not necessary. How can we inspire each other and take care of each other without severe circumstances?  How can we pay attention when it's easy? I don't have the answer but I think it is a key to healing the pain of this world. Healing each other long before we are this broken. Taking care of people before they fall. Until I figure that out, I am just going to follow Yitzi. He seems to know what he is doing.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the various reminders. In my life
    I have had plenty of missed opportunities to perform
    good deeds (acts of loving kindness) for my fellow
    human beings. You point out how
    distraught I would be if, as in the case of the Rabbi,
    I might not have those opportunities due to incapacity.
    Thank you again. Thanks too for the Rabbi's example.

    ReplyDelete